Pinch Hit Home Runs
We’ve all heard about the other night when the Cardinals launched three pinch hit home runs, courtesy of Jeremy Hazelbaker, Aledmys Diaz, and Greg Garcia. Brandon Moss added one of his own in tonight’s game to give the Cardinals four pinch hit home runs on the season. There have only been seven hit in all of baseball this year (Detroit has 2, Colorado has 1).
But here’s a couple quick stats on pinch hit home runs:
- The most pinch hit home runs by a team in a season is 14, set in 2001 by both San Francisco and Arizona.
- The Cardinals’ franchise record for pinch hit home runs in a season is 10, set in 1998. I was surprised to learn that only one was supplied by Mark McGwire on his way to 70.
- Four pinch hit home runs is the most by the Cardinals in a season since 2009, when they hit 8. The team also hit four pinch hit home runs in 2010 and 2015.
- The Cardinals all time leader in pinch hit home runs is George Crowe, who played for the team from 1959 to 1961, with 8.
- Matt Adams is the team’s current leader in pinch hit home runs with 4. Garcia and Randal Grichuk have two a piece and are the only other Cardinals with more than one.